Tuesday, June 21, 2011

PLACES: Such a New York Block Party


Another reason why NYC is so cool: every summer there is a Museum Mile Festival, where 5th Avenue is closed off for a block party in front of the 9 museums on the mile.  Due to long, snaking lines and rain later in the evening (all the chalk above was washed away! so sad..), we only went to the Smithsonian, Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures inside, but I loved how I was looking at so many contemporary and design-oriented things inside probably the oldest mansion I've ever been in.


Van Cleef & Arpels exhibit was tres great and tres sparkly.  So many women captivated by all the jewels and diamonds.... funny sight to see.  What I liked about it was the idea of such expensive, rare jewels being used as a materials.  I remember reading a description I really liked, which talked about how VC&A used materials that were already beautiful to create even more beautiful works of art.




Loving the bright green & blue against the old brick.


View of the Guggenheim. I wish the streets were always car-less...



"Design is art people use." 

-- quote inside a book at the Cooper-Hewitt shop.... SO true, right?

-Claire