Monday, June 6, 2011

FILM: A Taste of Bollywood


When I went to see my first ever Bollywood film Ready I didn't really know what to expect, besides lots of music and dancing. Before going I was warned that it would be long, there was even an intermission, or "pee break" as the film called it. I liked the bright colors and silly songs and really got absorbed into the film. The movies I enjoy most are the ones that make me forget about life outside of the film and usually those happy films speed by much too quickly and I'm forced back into real life very suddenly. But Ready was long enough that I felt so absorbed and content it was strange leaving the theater, just like the warm fuzzy feeling after a Broadway play.

The hunky star of Ready was Salman Khan, who I learned is the heartthrob of the Bollywood scene. It was entertaining listening to the audience's reactions when he winked at the camera or ripped his shirt off. Despite the cheesy sound effects and the fact we didn't get out of the theater until 1AM, I really enjoyed the film. It was a fun escape into a colorful world of true love and random musical numbers.

Here's a little taste of the Bollywood world for other newbies like me: Character Dheela Full Video Song.

-Miraya