Sunday, July 31, 2011

THEATER: How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying


I've seen a lot of plays in my day, but I have to say How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying has moved to the top of my list as one of my all time favorites. Having been in the play in high school and being a huge Harry Potter fan, the play was pure joy. The moment Daniel Radcliffe was lifted into the air in a window washer uniform I couldn't stop grinning. The retro clothes and colors, catchy tunes, and Daniel's contagious smile made for one excellent play.



One of the most famous songs from the play is "A Secretary is Not a Toy," that while trying to prove that secretaries are assets to the working of the office, simply plays upon the fact that they are sex objects. I remember when I was in the play that although I greatly enjoyed the dance number I was somewhat offended by the lyrics of the song. While women are respected more today in the office, there is now the hit TV show Mad Men which also objectifies women. Don't get me wrong, I love Mad Men for the drama and clothes, but I have had many conversations about men's view of women after watching Mad Men. One friend confessed to me that her boyfriend will repeat lines from the TV show that completely insult her as a strong, independent women. Women have made it so far from the 60s when our role was to basically do whatever men told us. But now, these period pieces could be threatening our future. Mobs of teenage girls who flock to How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying to be arms reach from Daniel Radcliffe might not notice the strong undertone of the play. I'm not trying to bash on How to Succeed or Mad Men because I adore them both. I just urge both men and women to take a step back and enjoy them for what they are, and to not get any ideas.

-Miraya