Monday, July 18, 2011

PLACES: Harry Potter the Exhibition


A few weeks before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 came out I was already feeling the HP craze. When I saw there was a Harry Potter exhibition at the Discovery Center in Times Square, I knew I had to check it out. So when my cousin Skyler was visiting New York for the weekend we went to Harry Potter the Exhibition.


We quickly learned seeing authentic props from all the Harry Potter movies isn't a cheap activity, but decided it was worth it. I was even sucked into buying the audio tour to hear exclusive commentary. The exhibition is traveling and will only be in New York for a short while longer before going out of the country.

The tour began with the sorting hat sorting a few of the people in our group into houses. Then the rest of the exhibit is self-guided, so Skyler and I wandered around with the audio device resting between our heads. We saw costumes from the movies, life size house elves that they used when digitizing the characters, wands, the sorcerer's stone, and all sorts of props. I loved seeing the costumes most because the height difference between Harry, Ron, and Hermione is quite hilarious - Daniel Radcliffe is only a little taller than me. We saw Professor Umbridge's pink office with cats everywhere and the beds from the Gryffindor dormitory. It was pretty awesome and increased my HP love!

-Miraya