Tuesday, July 26, 2011

PLACES: Housing Works Warehouse Sale

Long red skirt, pleated white skirt, navy blazer, Ralph Lauren scarf, straw bag, two neckties, two brown belts, visor, and a canvas backpack - sounds like a shopping spree right? Well, would you believe I scored the whole loot for less than $20?! Quite the thrifting success!

Some would be too intimidated to wait outside for 2 hours in a New York heat-wave or to dig through piles of items while climbing over a foot deep of clothes, but not I! My friends and I awoke early Saturday morning to attack The Housing Works Warehouse Sale in Queens. We had no idea what to expect, we only knew a bag of clothes costs $25 and we all liked the sound of that.



When we finally entered the warehouse we were greeted by sweltering heat even hotter than outside, which happened to be one of the hottest days in NY this summer. Men and women were digging and sorting through clothes and I expected any minute for fights to break out for sacred items. Although I was literally dripping in sweat within minutes, I loved the place! With no worry of the price of each item, I joyfully placed every appealing good into my brown paper bag. We didn't even last a full hour at the sale, but we all left with great items. And strategically we crammed our clothes into two bags so none of us had to pay the full $25. The warehouse sale is not for the faint of heart, but now I feel like I can take on any shopping encounter.


Not the prettiest picture of us, but it clearly represents the extremity of the situation. 

Shopping is a sport.

-Miraya